Wednesday 6 May 2015

BARKIS IS WILLIN'


Nirmala called me. There is this elderly lady who is extremely fond of music and loves to host musicians and connoisseurs of music at her place. Nirmala herself is an avid music lover.   She insisted that I must come and perhaps I would enjoy being there. She was at her persuasive best. I agreed.

I have been enjoying reading Asterix comics ever since I lay my hands on the first book long long years ago. With a lot of free time at my disposal now, I occasionally re-read these books that I have over a long period preserved in my small library. It wasn’t so then but reading them now makes me realize that each of the characters reflects some real life traits and qualities and the universality of situations and characters strike a familiar chord.

Geriatrix, is 93-year old man from Gergovia (52 B.C.) and is as sprightly as they come. You only have to see him chasing skirts in Asterix at the Olympic Games.  Though, after the appearance of his wife in Asterix and the Roman Agent, he has become a faithful and devoted husband.

His wife’s youthful appearance suggests that she is less than half his age and a lot taller. She does seem to be happily married. However, the only serious conflict in their marriage is her occasional apparent interest in Obelix which makes Geriatrix insanely jealous. She has never been officially named but in Asterix and the Soothsayer, Impedimenta appears to address her as Myopia which, given her choice of spouse would be extremely appropriate! Geritrix even aspires at this age to higher things, imagining himself as village chief in the place of Vitalstatistix in Asterix and Caesar’s Gift. This just goes to show how love can change you no matter how old you are!

This brings me back to those lovely characters in David Copperfield !
'So she makes,' said Mr. Barkis, after a long interval of reflection, 'all the apple parsties, and doos all the cooking, do she?' 
I replied that such was the fact.
'Well. I'll tell you what,' said Mr. Barkis. 'P'raps you might be writin' to her?' 
'I shall certainly write to her,' I rejoined. 
'Ah!' he said, slowly turning his eyes towards me. 'Well! If you was writin' to her, p'raps you'd recollect to say that Barkis was willin'; would you?' 
'That Barkis is willing,' I repeated, innocently. 'Is that all the message?'

Aging and the aged represent a curious phenomenon in human life. Human beings desire to live long, love and being loved long and wish to avoid the consequences of aging. But individuals and families tend to be caught between tradition and modernity which sometimes leads to ambivalence in attitudes towards the use of knowledge and experience of the past in solving problems of the present.

It was a cloudy day and had been drizzling intermittently.  As I stepprd out from the lift and was about to press the calling bell, strains of music coming from indoors hit me. In a flash I pictured a gathering of young energetic singers and youthful hands on individual instruments like keyboard, lead guitar, octoped and variety of percussions singing and playing to their heart’s content and perhaps a jig or two to the beat of the drums.
A graceful elderly lady opened the door and welcomed me warmly. She reckoned I was the same person whom Nirmala had invited in her behalf. I was received very warmly and introduced to several ladies present in there. At once, as I surveyed the scenario,  I knew that many of the myths surrounding the process of aging were being invalidated right there.

The joy and laughter was filling the air fast as this lady in her resplendent sari took the stage to sing an old Lata number Ai mere dil-e-nadan tu gham se na ghabrana… Creases on her face were appearing and disappearing in a rhythmic pattern as she moved her lips to form the lyrics to the beautiful melody. As my eyes moved in a semicircle on the seating pattern in the room, I noticed the faces intently focused on listening to the song and some of them perhaps transported to another time with closed eyes gripped by a strong nostalgia.  Though it was late evening it seemed like the room was brightly lit with warmth and sunshine. I felt that I had not seen such joy and happiness at one place in a long time.

Everyone has to move in the last stage in the life processes of an individual.  Although there is no universally accepted age that is considered old among or within societies, often differing views exist as to what age a society may consider old. Functional abilities, independence and quality of life issues are of great concern to all who are in this stage and hope and wish is to continue to live a life full of laughter and mirth, energy and zest, cheer and sunshine. Age, after all, as they say, is just a number. Barkis is still willing…

Mirza Ghalib will go even beyond:
Go haath ko jumbish nahin aankhon mein toh dum hai
Rahne do abhi saaghar-o-meena meray aage

Though I can’t lift my arm, I can still see --
Leave the glass of wine in front of me.






1 comment:

  1. The underlying moral of this beautiful piece is that love keeps humans young and not the body... Geriatrix, Myopia, Barkis, Ghalib every beautiful soul present on that musical evening are introduced with justified elegance to reinforce this enduring truth in your penning. The three elements of this article are picked from as varied sources as could be... but they sum up the theme so convincingly.... actually the very fact that they come from genres so apart from each other goes on to prove the universality of the idea.

    Yes, there is no prescribed age when a person can actually be declared old, thank God for his small graces... that our otherwise strait-jacketed social system does give concessions for the mentally and emotionally agile to exercise their right to youth... branding people old just because of years would be tragic and unjustified...

    Ghalib's sher at the end is the cherry to top this lovely article...

    ReplyDelete